Provost Linda Katehi and Dean Robert Easter, Chair of the Dean’s Search Committee, spoke with faculty and staff at a College town hall meeting in room 240 Wohler’s Hall on January 25th. Katehi shared with the crowded room her satisfaction with the great team assembled to find the next dean. She expressed her commitment to helping the College find and secure the best possible candidate.
Easter was equally pleased about the committee and looks forward to a productive search. He requested everyone contact him or a committee member with suggestions for search considerations and questions about the process.
The following are a sample of issues framing the search criteria:
- The successful candidate must be tenurable in the College of Business.
- The successful candidate must have the ability and commitment to work externally with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- The successful candidate must be able to meet the challenges of the graduate programs while building on the strengths of the undergraduate program.
- The successful candidate must be able to attract and retain excellent faculty and staff.
- The successful candidate must be able to provide strong leadership while maintaining fruitful cross-unit collaborations.
Goals for the new Dean include making the College a top ten business school, pushing the MBA program into the top twenty, and reinvigorating the Ph.D. program.
While the committee is proceeding with its attempt to have a new dean in place by Fall 2008, the over-riding objective remains identifying and securing the very best candidate, regardless of timeline.
Acting Dean Larry DeBrock concluded the meeting, thanking the committee members for their efforts and encouraged everyone to talk to the committee members as the search continues.
Dean Search Committee