Department of Business Administration
350 Wohlers Hall
1206 South Sixth Street
Champaign, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-4240
- PhD Candidate, Strategy (Expected: May 2015), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015
- B.A., Archaelogy, University of Liverpool, 2000
- Internal Auditor, Royal Liver Assurance Ltd, 2008-2009
- Project Manager, Royal Liver Assurance Ltd, 2006-2008
- Mawdsley, J., Somaya, D. Forthcoming. Strategy and Strategic Alignment in Professional Service Firms. In Oxford Handbook on Professional Service Firms. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Honors and Awards
- Richard D. and Anne Marie Irwin Fellowship, Irwin Foundation, 2014-2015
- Best Conference Paper (Nomination), Strategic Management Society conference, 2014
- Best Conference Paper for Practice Implications (Nomination), Strategic Management Society conference, 2014
- Dissertation Award, UIUC, 2014
- Excellent Teachers – “Outstanding Ranking” (campus top 10%), UIUC, 2012
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, BPS Division, Academy of Management, 2011
Research and Teaching Interests
- My research interests reside at the intersection of cooperative strategy and strategic human capital. I am motivated by research questions that investigate strategic issues for firms who create value from human capital and inter-organizational relationships. In particular, I am interested in examining strategic and performance outcomes that arise when knowledge-based service suppliers make deeper investments in their client relationships. I also have an interest in the management of a professional workforce, the impacts of different firm governance structures on firm value creation, and the strategies firms implement to acquire knowledge-based capabilities.
- My teaching interests lie in business policy & strategy, and strategic human capital. I can also teach international business and entrepreneurship, and have an interest in creating teaching courses that relate to the strategic management of firms who supply knowledge-based business services.