The application procedure requires that you
submit an online application to the Graduate College of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; and
upload supporting documents.
- Submit an
for admission to the Graduate College and the appropriate application fee
($70.00 domestic; $90.00 international).
- Upload supporting documents in the online application as required. (Simply follow the instructions in the online application.)
- Personal statement.
Your personal statement should explain your reasons for pursuing the Ph.D. degree.
Transcripts and degree certificates for all undergraduate and graduate schools you have attended. Original transcripts should be sent by your university directly to the Finance Graduate Studies Office
Official copy of Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) results sent by Educational Testing Service in Princeton, New Jersey. Scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) may be submitted in place of GMAT scores. Use institution code 1836 and department code 4102. To request a copy of the bulletin contact:
Graduate Management Admissions Test
Educational Testing Services
P. O. Box 6106
Princeton, NJ 08541-6106
Telephone: (609) 771-7330
- TOEFL or IELTS (international students only).
International applicants are required to submit results of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)directly to the Finance Graduate Studies Office, unless they satisfy one of the conditions for exemption listed below. Applicants who submit a TOEFL score must have a minimum score of 613 on the paper-based test, 257 on the computer-based test, or 103 on the internet-based test (TOEFL iBT). Applicants who submit an IELTS score must have a minimum total score of 6.5, and scores of at least six on each of the four modules.
Applicants who meet either or both of the following conditions for exemption need not submit a TOEFL or IELTS score:
- The applicant has completed at least two academic years of full-time study (as defined by the home institution) within five years of the beginning of the proposed term of enrollment, or the applicant has completed a graduate degree, in a country where English is the primary language and at a school where English is the primary language of instruction. That is, English must be both the language of the country and the language of instruction at the school.
- The applicant is from a country in which English is both the primary language and the official language.
Please arrange for official score reports of either the TOEFL or the IELTS (or both) to be sent to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. For the TOEFL, use institution code 1836 and department code 02.
Educational Testing Services
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151
Telephone: (609) 771-7100
Fax: (609) 771-7500
100 E. Corson St., Suite 200
Pasadena, CA 9110
Telephone: (626) 564-2954
Fax: (626) 564 2981
- Three letters of recommendation.
Letters from academic sources are preferred.
- International Student Verification Form.
International Students must complete and include the International Student Verification Form in order to complete the admission process.
These materials should be sent directly to:
Finance Graduate Studies Office:
Director of Ph.D. Program
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
College of Business, Department of Finance
330E Wohlers Hall, MC-706
1206 S. Sixth St
Champaign, IL 61820 USA
Telephone: (217) 244-2371
Fax: (217) 244-2030
Please direct questions to the
Finance Graduate Studies Office at